21 december 2008

training

Laat ik beginnen met een quote:

"We had to stay in the Sheraton next to Heathrow but when we arrived it was about 11 o'clock in the evening and the middle of the winter. It was impossible to train outside. I started to think about how I could train and then I noticed that my hotel corridor was very long. I put on my shoes and started to run up and down it, and then some of my friends joined me. By that time it was close to midnight and people started to come out of their rooms to look at us. Do you know what happened? They all thought it was an emergency and started following us. One old woman was shouting and running down the corridor in her pyjamas."

"The reason I'm telling you this is that I didn't want to miss a day's training. I always tell young athletes the same thing, 'Wherever you go, whatever you do, what must your top priority be? Running.' In my life I do a lot of things but I never forget my training. Athletics is in my blood. The top priority must always be training, training. This is a discipline. You have to do it."

- the one, the only, the legend, Haile Gebrselassie, commenting in a great Telegraph profile on how he still manages to be a world beater now that he's a business king in Ethiopia. Geb, who employs 500 people in his Ethiopian businesses, amazingly now has a 14.5 hour work day as he runs before and after a full day in the office.


Dus.. training.

Ikzelf heb gisteravond half 10 nog 16 km gelopen. En vanochtend had ik daar nog wat last van, vandaar niet lopend maar fietsend naar de clubtraining. Alwaar ik een warming up gegeven heb in de bossen van Norg. Het lukte mij om de mensen in het zand te laten bijten, door een soort 'klimduinrun' oefening te verzinnen, waarbij iedereen moest finishen door met de hand de finishlijn aan te tikken.

En verdomd ze deden het nog ook! Helaas had ik mijn cameraatje niet bij me. Het staat nog op mijn netvlies gebrand maar die informatie is (nog) niet te downloaden naar mijn pc.


En om nog even op die kubus terug te komen: ik kan hem inmiddels (na een paar uur oefening) in 50 seconden draaien, nog ver weg van het 25 jaar oude PR van 32 seconden. Natuurlijk even opgezocht wat het wereldrecord nu is: een verbijsterende 8 a 10 seconden, afhankelijk van moeilijkheidsgraad. Een gedetailleerd filmpje van één van de pogingen, van Yu Nakajima (hij doet 'm eerst door de war en dan in 10.xx sec de oplossing):



Conclusie: ik moet mijn eigen kubus nodig even smeren.

POV

Geen opmerkingen: